Impact Academy is an action-oriented learning and incubation program optimized for early-stage social entrepreneurs to build their social enterprise better and faster.Impact Academy launched in 2013 in response to the growing social enterprise sector and their emerging training and resources needs. We have since completed 5 cohorts and seen 125 graduates take their social impact to the next level. Are you a social entrepreneur looking to amplify your impact? Join Impact Academy to get the tools, knowledge, and network you need to do just that! Read more about the program experience on our latest blog story.
Applications are now closed for the cohort running from November 2016 to April 2017.
How to ApplyImpact Academy is a part of the Ontario Social Impact Voucher (OSIV) program, managed by the Ontario Centres of Excellence to support 200 social entrepreneurs/enterprises across Ontario in receiving training and resources to support their growth. Through their support, Impact Academy is available at no cost to participants. To receive your voucher to participate, applications are now being accepted through the Ontario Centres of Excellence.
- A demonstrated need for social entrepreneurship business and value-added services along with aptitude for entrepreneurship (i.e., experience and track record; leadership and expertise; network; coachability etc.)
- The application reflects a social enterprise with a scalable business model and potential for measurable economic and social impacts
- Social entrepreneur/enterprise is endorsed by a member of the ONE: a Regional Innovation Centre (RIC), Campus-Linked Accelerator (CLA), On-Campus Entrepreneurship Activities (OCEA) institution.
- Social entrepreneurs and/or social enterprises must be Ontario-based
- Social entrepreneurs and/or social enterprises agree to complete surveys directly upon completion of the Impact Academy program, and six months later
We are currently wrapping up the application process and have 5 spots left, apply today to reserve your spot!Applications can only be submitted through AccessOCE, OCE’s online application system, where full application requirements are listed. To initiate an online application, please email OCE’s Application Support Team (email@example.com) and provide the following initial information to receive your username and password:
- Social Enterprise Name
- Contact Name
- Mailing Address
- Work E-mail
- All applications will be reviewed for program eligibility
- All applicants will be notified of funding results by OCE in writing within four to six weeks of application submission
- Successful applications will be sent to Impact Hub Ottawa to initiate the delivery of Impact Academy
What You Will LearnYou will learn from top-notch practitioners and experts on topics such as: systems thinking, enhancing your business model for social impact, conducting market research and building strategic marketing plans, impact investing and skills to manage your finances, and developing processes to measure your impact. Check out the program overview below for full details!
Additional BenefitsYou will gain access to Hub membership benefits, including space and resources to incubate your enterprise. Build relationships with a cohort of like-minded innovators, and get support from a peer network in a creative setting. In addition, you will get connected to seasoned practitioners, entrepreneurs, mentors, and coaches for advice and guidance in accelerating your project.
Impact Academy Is Brought To You By
The Impact Academy Program
1. Impact CaféGet connected to your support network of mentors, peers and Impact Academy Alumni.
2. Workshop: ValidateUnderstand the big picture. Test your assumptions. Learn methods for defining and solving complex problems and refine your social value proposition for viability and potential for impact.
3. Workshop: NavigateBuild a sustainable enterprise around your social issue and build your business model using the Business Model Canvas. Plus, ensure your project is feasible by learning how to conduct market research and how to collect the data you need.
4. Workshop: FundUnderstand the basics about social financing models, sources, and requirements. Leave with skills to manage your finances effectively and prepare for potential partners, funders, and investors.
5. Workshop: DemonstrateLearn to measure your impact and build a cohesive brand narrative around your social issue.
6. Workshop: AmplifyMake yourself heard! Learn what goes into building a solid outreach platform and practice fine tuning your pitch to different stakeholder and funding groups.
7. IncubationBetween each workshop you will meet with a peer support group to review and apply the workshop learnings, then meet one on one with the content expert for personalized feedback, and check in with your program coordinator to set individual goals and connect to resources within the Impact Hub community.
8. Impact GraduationCelebrate your successes and share your Impact Academy journey with a room of peers, funders, potential collaborators and future partners.
Past Instructors of Impact Academy
Michael is an enterprise analyst experienced in business design, enterprise business analysis, strategic management and innov…
Jonathan Wade is a consultant in social finance, small business development and social entrepreneurship. He has more than 20 …
Fiona Wright is a systems analyst in the field of socio-ecological sustainability education, research and strategy. She has 1…
What Our Graduates Say About The Program
Tabatha Soltary, Class of Fall 2014
“I have recently launched TabTalks, my own company that designs games to help with complex problems. HUB Ottawa has been pivotal in conceiving, supporting and growing my business. Through HUB Ottawa I have learned about social enterprises by attending Impact Academy, when I had IP and trademark questions HUB members jumped in to point me in the right diction and provide me with my own Trademark registration. I have received free advice on my social media strategy and website design. I have even (ab)used fellow HUB members by asking them to play early editions as part of my product testing.”
Karima Kara, Class of Fall 2014
“The knowledge and skills I have gained have had a direct impact on strengthening my small training business. The staff at the HUB are very helpful and professional. The HUB community is great. It’s great learning and lots of fun! Thanks and keep up the excellent work!”