Civic problem-solvers are challenging the status quoImpact Hub Ottawa has partnered with our friends at Synapcity to present Impact Academy: CityMaker Edition, a 3-month immersive and experiential learning program for creative and entrepreneurial changemakers who are making our communities more sustainable, inclusive, and equitable. This special CityMaker Edition focuses on promising projects, initiatives, and ventures in the areas of Transportation & Mobility, Environment & Sustainability, and Healthy & Caring Communities (which happen to be priority areas of Ottawa City Council). This 6th cohort will be running September 5th - December 5th, Impact Academy aims to help participants:
- Gain confidence, knowledge and skills, and empathy for those affected by the problem you are working to solve
- Develop your idea or experiment into a prototype that could scale and grow into a long-term, sustainable solution
- Inspire action and collaboration from others who could join and support your project
- Transform your community and our city for the better!
Included in the program
Skills & KnowledgeCreating meaningful change is not about having the best solutions - it's asking the right questions. Evolve and improve your project with facilitated training on concepts like Systems Mapping, Design Thinking, and Business Modelling.
Peer Learning & SupportStarting something is hard, but working through common challenges with a group of like-minded founders can make it easier. We'll set you up with a peer learning group to help support you along your entrepreneurial journey.
Access & ExperienceNothing beats experiential learning opportunities out in the community. Take part in curated site visits for your peer learning group with people and places related to the issues you care about and the problems that you are working to solve.
Profile & AwarenessGetting attention when you're just starting out can be tough. We'll help amplify your message and extend your reach through Impact Hub and Synapcity's communications channels and community partners like Apt613.
Network & ConnectionsIt's not just what you know, but who you know. Get connected to advisors and mentors and build relationships with potential collaborators, customers, and supporters through Impact Hub and Synapcity's extensive networks.
Coworking & CommunityUpgrade your HQ from the local coffee shop. Impact Hub Ottawa's coworking community offers shared workspace, meeting rooms, learning and social events, and an inspiring environment full of fellow changemakers.
Timeline & ScheduleApplications to be a part of Impact Academy: CityMaker Edition closed on August 17th, 2018. Thanks to support from the City of Ottawa, the program is free of charge for all participants. A cohort of approximately 15 initiatives and projects (with 1-2 participants each) will be selected, with the program running between September 5th and December 5th, 2018. All sessions take place on Wednesday mornings, starting no earlier than 8am and no later than 12 noon.
- Sept 5: Workshop 1 (The Big Picture: Understanding your users' context through empathy and human-centered design)
- Sept 19: Study tour with Peer Learning Group
- Oct 3: Workshop 2 (Equity and Inclusion: Creating change that is inclusive of a diverse city)
- Oct 17: Study tour with Peer Learning Group
- Oct 31: Workshop 3 (Formalizing Your Project: Exploring different organizational models and structures)
- Nov 14: Study tour with entire cohort
- Nov 28: Workshop 4 (Spreading the Word: Raising awareness and gaining community support)
- Dec 5: Demo Day: Showcase your project!