Are you civic problem-solver challenging the status quo?
Impact Hub Ottawa is partnering with our friends at Synapcity to present Impact Academy: CityMaker Edition, a 3-month immersive and experiential learning program for creative and entrepreneurial changemakers who are making our communities more sustainable, inclusive, and equitable.
This special CityMaker Edition will focus on promising projects, initiatives, and ventures in the areas of Transportation & Mobility, Environment & Sustainability, and Healthy & Caring Communities (which happen to be priority areas of Ottawa City Council). Now recruiting for its 6th cohort running September 5th - December 5th, Impact Academy will help you:
- Gain confidence, knowledge and skills, and empathy for those affected by the problem you are working to solve
- Develop your idea or experiment into a prototype that could scale and grow into a long-term, sustainable solution
- Inspire action and collaboration from others who could join and support your project
- Transform your community and our city for the better!
What you get
Skills & KnowledgeCreating meaningful change is not about having the best solutions - it's asking the right questions. Evolve and improve your project with facilitated training on concepts like Systems Mapping, Design Thinking, and Business Modelling.
Peer Learning & SupportStarting something is hard, but working through common challenges with a group of like-minded founders can make it easier. We'll set you up with a peer learning group to help support you along your entrepreneurial journey.
Access & ExperienceNothing beats experiential learning opportunities out in the community. Take part in curated site visits for your peer learning group with people and places related to the issues you care about and the problems that you are working to solve.
Profile & AwarenessGetting attention when you're just starting out can be tough. We'll help amplify your message and extend your reach through Impact Hub and Synapcity's communications channels and community partners like Apt613.
Network & ConnectionsIt's not just what you know, but who you know. Get connected to advisors and mentors and build relationships with potential collaborators, customers, and supporters through Impact Hub and Synapcity's extensive networks.
Coworking & CommunityUpgrade your HQ from the local coffee shop. Impact Hub Ottawa's coworking community offers shared workspace, meeting rooms, learning and social events, and an inspiring environment full of fellow changemakers.
Timeline & ScheduleApply to be a part of Impact Academy: CityMaker Edition by August 17th, 2018. Thanks to support from the City of Ottawa, the program is free of charge for all participants. A cohort of approximately 15 initiatives and projects (with 1-2 participants each) will be selected, with the program running between September 5th and December 5th, 2018. All sessions take place on Wednesday mornings, starting no earlier than 8am and no later than 12 noon.
- Sept 5: Workshop 1 (Problem Solving and Systems Mapping)
- Sept 19: Study tour with Peer Learning Group
- Oct 3: Workshop 2 (Design Thinking)
- Oct 17: Study tour with Peer Learning Group
- Oct 31: Workshop 3 (Business Modelling)
- Nov 14: Study tour with entire cohort
- Nov 28: Workshop 4 (Gaining Community Support)
- Dec 5: Demo Day
Who should applyAs we experience and interact with our community and city, everyone has thought at some point "there has to be a better way...someone should do something about that!", but most of us stop there and continue on with our day. If you are part of the special minority of people who have decided to be that someone who does something about the issues you care about - and regardless if you consider yourself a social entrepreneur or changemaker, community organizer or activist, or just plain engaged citizen - Impact Academy is for you! This CityMaker Edition is focused on solutions in the areas of:
Health & Caring
- CityMakers are passionate about their city.
- CityMakers thrive in the diverse city ecosystem. They take risks, learn by trial and error, take criticism before giving it, and are open to different possibilities.
- CityMakers see themselves as stewards of the city. They feel personally responsible for the successes and failures of the city and believe that cities thrive when they are co-created.
- CityMakers are resilient and are easily adapt to change.
- CityMakers come from diverse communities and hold different perspectives about the world around them.
- CityMakers turn cynicism into hope and opportunities.
The program is open to people who live outside of Ottawa, but who are interested in making connections and scaling their impact here, and able to participate in the sessions which all take place within the City of Ottawa.
If this resonates with you, apply to Impact Academy to take your promising project, initiative, or venture to the next level!
Applications are open until August 17th, 2018