We are looking for an Impact Hub Global Gathering 2018 Lead
Part time November-December 2017, Full time January-July 2018
The Gathering Lead will understand the complete business cycle of the event and be responsible for its ongoing plan & budget tracking and management, communications & ticket sales oversight, team & contractors’ management, production coordination and process coordination for agenda development. The role acts with oversight from the IH Company’s Executive Director for Strategy Gathering and Network Development Manager for Makers Festival.
Everyone has ideas for making the world a better place – Impact Hub is a place to make them happen. With 100+ open Impact Hubs, more than 15,000 members around the world and a combined global team of over 1000 makers, we have created a collaborative eco-system that inspires, connects and enables people across the world to sustainably impact society. Started in 2005 with just a single Impact Hub, we have now become a tightly connected network spanning the globe.
Impact Hub is about people who see and do things differently. We invite you to join us!
As part of this evolution, we are now looking for an exceptional individual to join our team as an Impact Hub Global Gathering 2018 Lead.
- Develop and maintain the project plan and ensure that deadlines necessary for a smooth execution of the program are met well in time, including tracking of all people/groups involved in delivering the plan and direct leadership for production delivery
- Recruit and manage essential team members for the following operational roles: Volunteer Management, Ticketing, Technical Management, Operations (Venues, Catering, Accommodations), Guest Services, Setup and Onsite Logistics
- Provide ongoing transparent status reports towards key stakeholders for the status of the overall project, identify risks and risk mitigation strategies and drive their implementation
- Keep track of the event budget and P&L, ensuring delivery within budget and cash flow expectations
- Act as main point of contact for payment and spending sign-offs within agreed budget (any deviation should be agreed upon with oversight managers) including signing out production petty cash, including any per diems
- Outline a ticketing strategy and associated marketing approach that delivers within expectations
- Be alert to programme related fundraising, sponsorship and income generating opportunities; such as equipment or resource sharing (I.e. Getting stuff for FREE :))
- Provide regular financial updates to respective Project Directors
Legal and contractual
- Work with the local hosting team to identify and apply for any work permits, licensing and health and safety requirements for venues and projects, ensuring all projects are operating within current legislation
- Develop and issue project contracts to all staff, artists, speakers, vendors, venues and collaborators along with help of Project Directors and HR role in Impact Hub Company
- Worth with on the ground Community & Production host to ensure all visa issues are considered and cared for with regards to international speakers or attendees in advance of the event
Event logistics and On-site Management
- Work with local hosting team to clarify all core logistics for all events including venues, contracts, visas, first aid cover, risk assessments, licensing, etc
- Support hosting team with pre-event site inspections and on-site event management – Coordinate the onsite registration, VIP’s and Partners, event attendees, Health and Safety, oversee setups and breakdowns, staffing allocations, fulfillment of technical requirements and setups, and oversee venue management during live events to ensure full coordination of logistics and on-site team
- Work with local hosting team to organize all ground and air transportation including: sending travel information & recommendations for participants, booking flights for speakers, and special guests if required, arranging ground transportation during the event
Ticketing and Participants List
- Develop ticketing system and process in coordination with Global Finance Manager (to ensure appropriate legal & financial agreements) and then manage all ticketing in accordance with this plan
- Record details of invitees and attendees into final attendee lists (directly or indirectly via automatization or volunteers engagement)
- Identify and assign a technical coordinator for all venues
- Liaise with the Agenda Coordinator on technical specifications to create a master list of all equipment and arrange for the procurement, delivery and testing of all equipment
Harvesting & Communications
- Ensure production of materials, printing or any agenda set up as part of final program
- Work with the global and local Communications Teams to make sure all press deadlines are met and promotional materials delivered to all appropriate locations (flyers posters, etc)
- Work with the Agenda Coordinator on the appointment, contracting and management of the facilitation and documentation team (graphic facilitation, video, photo)
- Be responsible for on-site briefing of the documentation team prior to each event
- Support Global Biz Dev Leads and Local Biz Dev Leads in going after global and local in-kind and financial sponsorships from vendors and partners.
Post Production and 2017 Pre-planning
- Participate in final budget closures and reconciliations with local team, Global Finance Manager and respective oversight managers
- Closing of all contracts with vendors, venues and contractors
- Closing final project plan and summarizing agreed upon project reports
- Onboard 2019 Gathering Lead from Florianopolis including knowledge transfer, systems, and best practices and support (1-2 calls) in reviewing their plan and budget
Are we a match?
- You have 5+ years’ experience with events and a strong holistic knowledge of events and event production for events between 500-1000 people
- You have strong budgeting, labor and contract negotiation skills
- You possess good feasibility analysis and risk management skills
- You have excellent project management and execution skills including user skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and have delivered project with one of the widely used project management tools
- You are a superior communicator with the ability to work across all levels in an organization and build strong relationships with event vendors
- You possess strong leadership skills with a proven track record in onsite stage management, production management, and scheduling (including production plans and work back schedules)
- You have an strong sensitivity for ethical sourcing, socially conscious staffing practices, and creating sustainable events with a focus on low environmental impact and positive social impact in the communities in which you work
- You are flexible and willing to travel and work some long hours (sometimes evenings, weekends) and travel when required
- You are comfortable interacting with several stakeholders and able to work collaboratively within “virtual” international, multidisciplinary and distributed teams
- You have a calm demeanor and clear decision-making ability in high pressure situations
- Capacity: 0.5 FTE x Nov-Dec 2017, full time Jan – July 2018
- Legal form: Independent Contractor as part of the Impact Hub Global Team.
- Working time: Flexible working schedule yet agreed core working hours to overlap (Montreal/Ottawa) with local and global (London/Vienna) team members.
- Compensation: 1,500 EUR gross per month for Nov-Dec 2017, 3,000 EUR gross per month for Jan-July 2018. Payment period – three tranches. First tranche to be paid out once a third of the tickets are sold, second upon 60% tickets sold and the final tranche upon achievement of ticket budget target.
- Location: Montreal/Ottawa
- Allowances and other contributions: Full events costs covered as part of core events team.
- Reporting to: Executive Director for Strategy Gathering & Network Development Manager for Makers Festival
- Please submit your application at firstname.lastname@example.org with the title Impact Hub Global Gathering 2018 Lead by 27th October 2017 (end of business day, your time zone).
- Your application should contain your CV and a Cover Letter stating your motivation for the role and your assessment of skill fit based on requirements.