There were so many incredible organizations nominated and the judges wanted to shine a light on a few that stood out to them personally.
Here are the judge's honourable mentions for 2018:
- Ability First: a charitable organization that provides comprehensive services and support to individuals (with or without developmental disabilities) and their families.
- CU Smile: a student association in Carleton University founded September 2016. Over the past year and a half fed over 2000 homeless people, initiated Blood drives, clothes drives, food drives and much much more.
- EverydayDad: Sick of seeing Dads Against Daughters Dating shirts, Mike Reynolds began creating and selling EverydayGirlDad shirts. The tees & posters both share positive messages about feminism, masculinity, & feature female heroes.
- Girls+ Rock Ottawa: a volunteer-run organization that provides music programming to inspire girls, women, femme, non-binary, two-spirit & gender non-conforming folks to follow their passions and get involved in the local music scene!
- Operation Come Home: they work tirelessly to prevent at-risk and homeless youth from becoming homeless adults. By providing support and safety, these youth are able to access services and resources that can help them get off the streets- and stay off.
- Parkdale Food Centre: they are creating social enterprises which engage youth and address food insecurity in at risk and underserved neighbourhoods.
Partners and Collaborators
The 2018 Ottawa Social Impact Awards is made possible thanks to the province of Ontario, through the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs Social Enterprise Partnerships. The Eastern Ontario partnership is comprised of Impact Hub Ottawa, Invest Ottawa and Capital Entrepreneurs.